Whether they know it or not, millions of people are exposed to mold every single day. However, they tend to underestimate the harm that mold can cause on the human body. Modern materials such as wood, drywall, wallpaper, and fabric are the perfect sources for mold to thrive. You can save a lot of time, money, and trouble if you notice mold early enough to remove it from your home. So how can you tell if you have a mold problem in your home? Check out these common signs!
If you have had a history of water problems in your home, such as a previous flood, looking out for mold damage should be a priority. Where there is moisture, there is most likely mold. This can happen in rooms with high moisture levels and poor ventilation, such as bathrooms. Moisture that remains in a room with a lack of ventilation, creates the perfect place for mold to grow. When moisture stays in a room for a long period of time, it will begin to peel or crack paint, and warp wood. If you notice any of these signs, there is mostly likely water damage in the room, which could potentially lead to mold growth.
Mold has a very distinct musty/earthy odor. If you notice a musty/earthy smell in your home, it is most likely mold. Mold can be growing in your home even if you cannot physically see it. It can be hiding behind walls or wallpaper. If you notice an unusual smell in your home, call Infinity Abatement right away to have a mold inspection.
Many people who have allergy-like symptoms fail to realize that they are due to mold in their home. Some of these symptoms include:
- Breathing difficulties
- Nasal & sinus congestion
- Persistent cough
- Sore throat
- Upper respiratory infection
- Skin and eye irritation
If you have allergy-like symptoms that tend to decrease when you leave your home, it could be a sign that they are caused by mold.
Being able to see mold may seem like an obvious sign, but believe it or not, many people see mold and assume it’s just dirt. Mold has a fuzzy, cottony look to it and appears to be gray, black, white, or green. Even if you have just a small amount of mold, it means that there is enough moisture in your home for more mold to grow.
If you notice any of these signs in your home, contact Infinity Abatement for mold remediation today!