There are many different types of mold that can be found within homes, and depending on which one you are exposed to, they can cause different health problems. “Allergenic molds” are not life-threatening but are most problematic for individuals with allergies or asthma. “Toxic molds” can make anyone sick and are considered deadly to humans.
Common Types of Mold Found in Homes
- Alternaria – is often found outdoors and can spread easily. Exposure can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- Aureobasidium – is pink or black in color and often found on damp window frames and caulking. Exposure can cause allergic reactions.
- Botrytis – grows in high levels of humidity, like bathrooms with poor ventilation. It can cause allergic reactions and asthma.
- Ulocladium – frequently grows in areas with extensive water damage, such as homes that have been flooded. It can cause allergic reactions.
- Aspergillus – is found in warm, damp climates and a common occupant of house mold. It produces mycotoxins with is a very poisonous chemical compound. It can cause inflammation of the lungs and respiratory infections.
- Cladosporium – is a common outdoor fungus that can find its way indoors. While most molds prefer warm climates, this can also grow in cool areas. It can cause a variety of respiratory problems and hay fever.
- Fusarium – is another type of mold that can grow and spread at lower temperatures. It can causes respiratory infections and people with compromised immune systems are vulnerable to infections due to fusarium exposure.
- Penicillium – is often found growing on materials that have been water damaged and can spread quickly and easily from one part of the home to another. Exposure to this can cause chronic sinus infections and inflammation of the lungs.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum – is often referred to as “black mold” due to its slimy black appearance. It is also referred to as “toxic mold”; although the mold itself is not toxic, it produces toxic compounds called mycotoxins. These can cause breathing problems, chronic sinus infections, fatigue, and depression.
Infinity Abatement can test your home for mold and tell you which kinds are growing. They can also let you know the severity of the problem and what actions should be taken in order to remediate the mold. Call us today at 978-994-8734.